Math/Science Core Requirements
- All students at RPI must take 20-24 credits as their Math/Science Core (usually defined as Calc I, II, and 4 intro Science classes). DegreeWorks makes this clear – there is a section called Math/Science Core.
- Students can bring in as many AP math and science courses as they have the scores for, but if they are over 8 credits of Math/Science APs, then they are not supposed to be able to transfer in more classes to meet their Core (although they can transfer in courses to their major requirements or as free electives). See a couple of examples below.
- Student has AP Bio (4 credits) and transfers in Calc I. Has maxed out their Math/Science Core transfers. Any additional M/S classes would have to go to meet other requirements.
- Student has AP Bio (4 cr), AP Physics I and II (8 cr), AP Calc I and II (8 cr). Has also maxed out their Math/Science Core transfers. Any additional M/S classes would have to go to meet other requirements.
- Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Associate Dean of Science (Dr. Lee Ligon)
- Specific questions regarding the Math/Science Core can be answered by the Science HUB (scienceHUB@rpi.edu).