Our department offers the opportunity to learn from some of the most accomplished faculty and to work on some of the most exciting and significant projects in Earth Science. Alumni of our graduate program have gone on to prestigious positions in research science, industry, and academia.
The PhD in Geology is flexible and can be focused on any of the broad disciplinary research areas of our faculty, including:
- Organic Geochemistry and Biogeochemistry
- Earth System History and Paleoclimatology
- Paleoceanography and Micropaleontology
- Environmental Informatics
- Geochemistry of the Earth's Interior
- Metamorphic Petrology and Thermochemistry
- Solid-Earth Geophysics
Students who successfully complete this program will be able to demonstrate:
- Conceive of, design, and conduct independent research in a subfield of the geosciences.
- Demonstrate the creation of new knowledge through successful execution and defense of the PhD research project.