A master's degree in Biology from Rensselaer prepares students for jobs in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and other related industry sectors. It is also well suited to students wishing to upgrade their skills while employed in industry, or to obtain additional training prior to proceeding to professional study in medicine, veterinary science, dentistry, law, business, etc. Those with a B.S. degree in a field not closely related to modern biological science may also benefit from the program.
Students who successfully complete this program will be able to demonstrate:
- Demonstrate knowledge in a variety of sub-disciplines within the broader field of biology.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of a specialized field of biology and be able to address challenging questions in that field.
- Analyze and interpret the scientific literature and scientific presentations.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, execute and interpret experiments, and will use appropriate research techniques.
- Express their scientific research and findings in a variety of written and oral formats.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- Discuss issues related to scientific ethics and scientific misconduct.