Prof. Gyorgy Korniss received his Diploma (M.S.) in Physics at Eotvos University, Budapest in 1993 and his Ph.D. in Physics at Virginia Tech in 1997. His research background is statistical physics and interacting and agent-based systems. He was a postdoctoral research associate at the Supercomputer Computations Research Institute, Florida State University between 1997-2000. He has been in the Department Physics at RPI since 2000, where he has been a Professor since 2012. He authored and co-authored over 80 mostly interdisciplinary publications, including papers in Science, Physical Review Letters, Journal of Theoretical Biology, Scientific Reports, and Chaos. He is an Editorial Board member of Fluctuation and Noise Letters, Scientific Reports, and Computational Social Networks. His current research focuses on transport, flow, and cascading failures in complex networks; synchronization, coordination, and extreme events in coupled stochastic systems; and opinion dynamics and influencing in social networks.
1993-1997 Ph.D. in Physics, Virginia Tech
1989-1993 M.S. (Diploma) in Physics, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, Hungary
1988-89 Physics Major at Kossuth Lajos University, Debrecen, Hungary
- F. Molnár Jr., N. Derzsy, B.K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, "Building Damage-Resilient Dominating Sets in Complex Networks against Random and Targeted Attacks”, Scientific Reports 5, 8321 (2015).
- A. Asztalos, S. Sreenivasan, B.K. Szymanski, G. Korniss, "Cascading failures in spatially-embedded random networks”, PLoS One 9(1): e84563 (2014).
- F. Molnár Jr., S. Sreenivasan, B.K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, "Minimum Dominating Sets in Scale-Free Network Ensembles", Scientific Reports 3, 1736 (2013).
- P. Singh, S. Sreenivasan, B.K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, "Threshold-limited spreading in social networks with multiple initiators", Scientific Reports 3, 2330 (2013).
- J. Xie, J. Emenheiser, M. Kirby, S. Sreenivasan, B.K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, “Evolution of opinions on social networks in the presence of competing committed groups”, PLoS One 7(3): e33215 (2012).
- A. Asztalos, S. Sreenivasan, B.K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, “Distributed flow optimization and cascading effects in weighted complex networks”, European Physical Journal B 85, 288 (2012).
- J. Xie, S. Sreenivasan, G. Korniss, W. Zhang, C. Lim, and B. K. Szymanski, "Social consensus through the influence of committed minorities”, Physical Review E 84, 011130 (2011).
- D. Hunt, G. Korniss, and B.K. Szymanski, “Network Synchronization in a Noisy Environment with Time Delays: Fundamental Limits and Trade-Offs”, Physical Review Letters 105, 068701 (2010) (Editors’ Suggestion).
- Q. Lu, G. Korniss, and B.K. Szymanski, “The Naming Game in Social Networks: Community Formation and Consensus Engineering”, Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination 4, 221 (2009).
- G. Korniss, “Synchronization in Weighted Uncorrelated Complex Networks in a Noisy Environment: Optimization and Connections with Transport Efficiency”, Physical Review E 75, 051121 (2007).