Claire & Roland Schmitt Distinguished Prof. of Computer Science Computer Science
Dr. Boleslaw K. Szymanski is the Claire and Roland Schmitt Distinguished Professor at the Department of Computer Science and the Director of the ARL Social and Cognitive Networks Academic Research Center at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from National Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, Poland, in 1976. Dr. Szymanski published over three hundreds scientific articles and is the Editor-in-Chief of Scientific Programming. He is a foreign member of the National Academy of Science in Poland, an IEEE Fellow and a member of the IEEE Computer Society, and Association for Computing Machinery for which he was National Lecturer. He received the Wiley Distinguished Faculty Award in 2003 and the Wilkes Medal of British Computer Society in 2009. His research interests cover the broad area of distributed and parallel computer systems and algorithms with current focus on wireless and sensor networks.
M.Sc. (Electronics) – Faculty of Electronics and Information Technology, Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw, Poland, 1973; Ph.D. (Computer Science) – The Institute of Computer Science, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland, 1976 Postdoc (Computer Science) - University of Aberdeen, U.K., 1979.network science
- Fuzzy Overlapping Community Quality Metrics, Mingming Chen and Boleslaw K. Szymanski, Social Network Analysis and Mining 5:40, July 2015, 14 pages.
- Constructing Limited Scale-Free Topologies over Peer-to-Peer Networks,, Eyuphan Bulut and Boleslaw K. Szymanski, IEEE Trans. Parallel and Distributed Systems 25(4):919-928, 2014.
- Towards Relevancy Aware Service Oriented Systems in WSNs, Syed Yousaf Shah, Boleslaw K. Szymanski, Petros Zerfos, and Christopher Gibson, IEEE Transactions on Service Computing 8 2015, to appear.
- Community Detection via Maximization of Modularity and Its Variants, , Mingming Chen, Konstantin Kuzmin, and Boleslaw K. Szymanski, IEEE Trans. Computational Social Systems 1(1) March 2014, pp. 46-65 (invited).
- Failure dynamics of the global risk network, Boleslaw K. Szymanski, Xin Lin, Andrea Asztalos, and Sameet Sreenivasan, Nature Scientific Reports 5:10998, June 18, 2015.