My area of expertise is in paleoceanography and micropaleontology. Much of my work utilizes assemblage and geochemistry changes in the marine microfossil group benthic foraminifera, integrated with biostratigraphy, lithology, geophysical well logging, and seismic profile studies. I apply these integrated tools to a broad spectrum of reconstructions from the marine geological record, such as past ocean and climate conditions, paleocirculation, paleobathymetry and sea level, and the geological carbon cycle. Please contact me if you are interested in becoming a graduate student in my research group.
Ph.D., Rutgers University; M.S., University of South Carolina; B.S., St. Lawrence University
- Borrelli, C., Katz, M.E. and Toggweiler, J.R., 2021. Middle to late Eocene changes of the ocean carbonate cycle. Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology 36(12) doi.org/10.1029/2020PA004168.
- Katz, M.E., Miller, K.G., Kaminski, M.S., and Browning, J.V., 2018. Neogene benthic foraminiferal biofacies, paleobathymetry, and paleoenvironments of a Gulf of Mexico transect (Green Canyon to Main Pass). Journal of Foraminiferal Research 48(4):356-372.
- Schaller, M.F., Fung, M.F., Wright, J.D., Katz, M.E., and Kent, D.V., 2016. Evidence of an Extraterrestrial Impact at the Paleocene-Eocene boundary. Science 354(6309):225-229. doi: 10.1126/science.aaf5466
- Katz, M.E., Cramer, B.S., Toggweiler, J.R., Esmay, G., Liu, C., Miller, K.G., Rosenthal, Y., Wade, B.S., and Wright, J.D., 2011 Impact of Antarctic Circumpolar Current development on late Paleogene ocean structure. Science 332:1076-1079.
- Katz, M.E., Cramer, B.S., Honisch, B., Miller, K.G., Rosenthal, Y., and Wright, J.D., 2010. Traditional and emerging geochemical proxies in foraminifera. Journal of Foraminiferal Research, 40(2):165-192.
- Katz, M.E., Miller, K.G., Wright, J.D., Wade, B., Browning, J.V., Cramer, B.S., and Rosenthal, Y., 2008. Stepwise transition from the Eocene greenhouse to the Oligocene Icehouse. Nature Geoscience 1:329-334.
- Katz, M.E., Wright, J.D., Miller, K.G., Cramer, B.S., Fennel, K., and Falkowski, P.G., 2005. Biological overprint of the geological carbon cycle. Marine Geology. 217:323-338.
- Katz, M.E., Pak, D.K., Dickens, G.R., and Miller, K.G., 1999. The source and fate of massive carbon input during the Latest Paleocene Thermal Maximum. Science, 286(5444):1531-1533.
- Katz, M.E., Cramer, B., Mountain, G.S., Katz, S., and Miller, K.G., 2001. Uncorking the bottle: what triggered the Paleocene/Eocene methane release? Paleoceanography 16(6):549-562.
- Katz, M.E., Miller, K.G., and Mountain, G.S., 2003. Biofacies and lithofacies evidence for paleoenvironmental interpretations of late Neogene sequences on the New Jersey continental shelf (ODP Leg 174A). In: H. C. Olson and M. Leckie (Eds.), Micropaleontological Proxies for Sea-Level Change, SEPM Spec. Publ. 75, 131-146.