Carlos A Varela
Dr. Carlos A. Varela received his B.S. with honors, M.S., and Ph.D. in Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Dr. Varela is Associate Editor and Information Director of the ACM Computing Surveys journal, and has served as Guest Editor of the Scientific Programming journal. Dr. Varela is a recipient of several research grants including the NSF CAREER award, two IBM SUR awards, and two IBM Innovation awards. His current research interests include web-based and internet-based computing, middleware for adaptive distributed systems, concurrent programming models and languages, and software development environments and tools. For more information on Prof. Varela's group's research, please visit the Worldwide Computing Lab at http://wcl.cs.rpi.edu/
Dr. Carlos A. Varela received his B.S. with honors, M.S., and Ph.D. in Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Carlos Varela and Gul Agha. Programming Dynamically Reconfigurable Open Systems with SALSA. ACM SIGPLAN Notices. OOPSLA'2001 Intriguing Technology Track Proceedings, 36(12):20-34, December 2001.
- J. Field and C. Varela. Transactors: A Programming Model for Maintaining Globally Consistent Distributed State in Unreliable Environments. In ACM Conference on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL 2005), Long Beach, CA, pages 195-208, January 2005.
- Kaoutar El Maghraoui, Travis J. Desell, Boleslaw K. Szymanski, and Carlos A. Varela. The Internet Operating System: Middleware for Adaptive Distributed Computing. International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications (IJHPCA), Special Issue on Scheduling Techniques for Large-Scale Distributed Platforms, 20(4):467-480, 2006.
- Carlos A. Varela. Programming Distributed Computing Systems: A Foundational Approach. MIT Press, 2012.
- All publications available at:http://wcl.cs.rpi.edu/bib/Author/VARELA-CA.html