Frederic R. Kolleck ’52 Career Development Chair in Freshwater Ecology
Dr. Kevin Rose received his Ph.D. in Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology from Miami University studying the causes and consequences of variation in ultraviolet radiation in aquatic ecosystems. Following his Ph.D., Dr. Rose went on to a postdoctoral fellowship at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, an AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship at the U.S. National Science Foundation, and a postdoctoral appointment at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr. Rose joined at the Department of Biological Sciences at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2015 as the Frederic R. Kolleck ’52 Career Development Chair in Freshwater Ecology. Dr. Rose’s research spans aquatic ecology and biogeochemistry to understand how natural and anthropogenic processes affect the structure and function of freshwater ecosystems. A goal of his lab group is to forecast the future state of lake ecosystems in a regional to global context, with an emphasis on understanding how freshwater ecosystems are changing in response to local to global changes in land use and climate. This interdisciplinary research draws on skills in biology, ecology, biogeochemistry, advanced environmental sensors, and computational modeling.
Publications can be found at: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=jii1BdYAAAAJ&hl=en
Dr. Rose's lab website can be found at:http://aquatics-lab.weebly.com/
Ph.D. in Ecology, Evolution and Environmental Biology, Miami University (OH); B.A. in International Relations, Lehigh University; B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, Lehigh University
- Jane S.F., G.J.A. Hansen, B.M. Kraemer, P.R. Leavitt, J.L. Mincer, R.L. North, R.M. Pilla, J.T. Stetler, C.E. Williamson, R.I. Woolway, L. Arvola, S. Chandra, C.L. DeGasperi, L. Diemer, J. Dunalska, O. Erina, G. Flaim, H-P. Grossart, K.D. Hambright, C. Hein, J. Hejzlar, L.L. Janus, J-P. Jenny, J. Jones, L.B. Knoll, B. Leoni, E. Mackay, S-I. Matsuzaki, C. McBride, D.C. Müller-Navarra, A.M. Paterson, D. Pierson, M. Rogora, J. Rusak, S. Sadro, E. Saulnier-Talbot, M. Schmid, R. Sommaruga, W. Thiery, P. Verburg, K.C. Weathers, G. Weyhenmeyer, K. Yokota, and K.C. Rose. 2021. Widespread deoxygenation of temperate lakes. Nature 594: 66-70. DOI: 10.1038/s41586-021-03550-y. **This article was picked up in ~250 media outlets, including NPR (Science Friday Podcast), the AP, Washington Post, the Guardian, the Smithsonian magazine, Wired magazine, and Popular Science.
- Leach, T.H., L.A. Winslow, N.M. Hayes, and K.C. Rose. 2019. Decoupled trophic responses to long-term recovery from acidification and associated browning in lakes. Global Change Biology, 1-14. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.14580.
- Rose, K.C., K.C. Weathers, A.L. Hetherington, and D.P. Hamilton. 2016. Insights from the Global Lake Ecological Observatory Network (GLEON). Inland Waters 6(4): 476-482. DOI: 10.5268/IW-6.4.1051.
- Rose, K.C., R.A. Graves, W.D. Hansen, B.J. Harvey, J. Qiu, S.A. Wood, C. Ziter, and M.G. Turner. 2017. Historical foundations and future directions in macrosystems ecology. Ecology Letters 20(2): 147-157. DOI: 10.1111/ele.12717.
- Winslow, L.A., T.H. Leach, and K.C. Rose. 2018. Global lake response to the recent warming hiatus. Environmental Research Letters 13(5): 1-8.
- Barnes, P.W., C.E. Williamson, R.M. Lucas, S.A. Robinson, S. Madronich, N.D. Paul, J.F. Bornman, A.F. Bais, B. Sulzberger, S.R. Wilson, A.L. Andrady, R.L. McKenzie, P.J. Neale, A.T. Austin, G.H. Bernhard, K.R. Solomon, R.E. Neale, P.J. Young, M. Norval, L.E. Rhodes, S. Hylander, K.C. Rose, J. Longstreth, P.J. Aucamp, C.L. Ballaré, R.M. Cory, S.D. Flint, F.R. de Gruijl, D.-P. Häder, A.M. Heikkilä, M.A.K. Jansen, K.K. Pandey, T.M. Robson, CA. Sinclair, S-Å Wängberg, R.C. Worrest, S. Yazar, A.R. Young, and R.G. Zepp. 2019. Ozone depletion, ultraviolet radiation, climate change and prospects for a sustainable future. Nature Sustainability 2: 569-579. DOI: 10.1038/s41893-019-0314-2.
- Rose, K.C., B. Bierwagen, S. Bridgham, D. Carlisle, C. Hawkins, L. Poff, J. Rohr, J.E. Saros, and C.E. Williamson. 2022. Freshwater ecosystem indicators of climate change impacts. Climatic Change.