Jonathan S. Dordick
Howard P. Isermann Professor Chemical and Biological Engineering
Jonathan S. Dordick is the Howard P. Isermann Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute where he is also the Senior Advisor to the President for Strategic Initiatives. Prof. Dordick served as the Vice President for Research from 2012-2018, the Director of Rensselaer’s Center for Biotechnology & Interdisciplinary Studies from 2008-2012, and as Department Chairman of Chemical and Biological Engineering at Rensselaer (1998-2002) and Chemical and Biochemical Engineering at the University of Iowa (1995-1998). Prof. Dordick received his B.A. degree in Biochemistry and Chemistry from Brandeis University and his Ph.D. in Biochemical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has held chemical engineering faculty appointments at the University of Iowa (1987-1998), where he also served as the Associate Director of the Center for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (1998-present) where he also holds joint appointments in the departments of Biomedical Engineering and Biological Sciences. Prof. Dordick’s research group includes chemical engineers, bioengineers, materials scientists, biologists, chemists, microbiologists and computational and AI scientists all focused on gaining a quantitative understanding of biological principles and applying them to advance bioengineering and biomanufacturing, stem cell engineering, and drug discovery. Prof. Dordick has received numerous awards, including the Food, Pharmaceutical and Bioengineering Award of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Marvin J. Johnson Award and the Elmer Gaden Award both of the American Chemical Society, the International Enzyme Engineering Award, and an NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award. He is an elected Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors, the American Chemical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineers. He presently serves on the Scientific Advisory Boards for several biotechnology companies and venture capital firms, and has cofounded several companies, including EnzyMed (now part of Albany Molecular Research, Inc.), Solidus Biosciences, Inc., and Redpin Therapetuics. He has also served on multiple White House-sponsored panels and committees in biomanufacturing. Dr. Dordick has published over 370 papers and is an inventor/co-inventor on over 40 patents and patent applications.
Ph.D. Biochemical Engineering (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1986), M.S. Biochemical Engineering (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1983), B.A. Biochemistry and Chemistry (Brandeis University, 1980)
- G.J. Nierode, S. Gopal, P. Kwon, D.S. Clark, D.V. Schaffer, and J.S. Dordick (2018), “High-Throughput Identification of Factors Promoting Neuronal Differentiation of Human Neural Progenitor Cells in Microscale 3D Cell Culture”, Biotechnol. Bioeng. 116, 168-180.
- X. Wu, K. Fraser, J. Zha, and J.S. Dordick (2018), “Flexible Peptide Linkers Enhance the Antimicrobial Activity of Surface Immobilized Bacteriolytic Enzymes”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 10, 36746-36756.
- S.J. Kwon, D. Kim, I. Lee, J. Nam, J. Kim, and J.S. Dordick (2018), “Sensitive Multiplex Detection of Whole Bacteria Using Self-Assembled Cell Binding Domain Complexes”, Anal. Chim. Acta 1030, 156-165.
- K. Fraser, D.M. Bruckner, and J.S. Dordick (2018), “Advancing Predictive Hepatotoxicity at the Intersection of Experimental, In Silico and Artificial Intelligence Technologies”, Chem. Res. Toxicol. 31, 412-430.
- X. Wu, S.J. Kwon, D. Kim, J. Zha, M. Mora, and J.S. Dordick (2018), “Unprotonated Short Chain Alkylamines Inhibit Staphylolytic Activity of Lysostaphin in a Wall Teichoic Acid-Dependent Manner”, Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 84, e00693-18.
- X. Wu, S.J. Kwon, J. Kim, R.S. Kane, and J.S. Dordick (2017), “Biocatalytic Nanocomposites for Combating Bacterial Pathogens,” Annu. Rev. Chem. Biomol. Eng. 8, 87-113.
- G.J. Nierode, B.C. Perea, S.K. McFarland, J.F. Pascoal, D.S. Clark, D.V. Schaffer, and J.S. Dordick (2017), “High-Throughput Toxicity and Phenotypic Screening of 3D Human Neural Progenitor Cell Cultures on a Microarray Chip Platform”, Stem Cell Rep. 7, 970-982.
- S.P. Sánchez-Rodríguez, J.P. Sauer, S.A. Stanley, X. Qian, A. Gottesdiener, J. M. Friedman, and J.S. Dordick (2016), “Plasmonic Activation of Gold Nanorods for Remote Stimulation of Calcium Signaling and Protein Expression in HEK 293T Cells”, Biotechnol. Bioeng. 113, 2228-2240.
- S.A. Stanley, L. Kelly, K. N. Latcha, S. F. Schmidt, X. Yu, A. R. Nectow, J. Sauer, J.P. Dyke, J.S. Dordick, and J.M. Friedman (2016), “Bidirectional Electromagnetic Control of the Hypothalamus Regulates Feeding and Metabolism”, Nature 531, 647-650.
- S.A. Stanley, J. Sauer, R.S. Kane, J.S. Dordick, and J.M. Friedman (2015), “Remote Regulation of Glucose Homeostasis in Mice Using Genetically Encoded Nanoparticles”, Nat. Medicine 21, 92-98.