George I. Makhatadze
Dr. Makhatadze completed his postdoctoral work at the Department of Biology at the Johns Hopkins University before moving to his first faculty position in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Texas Tech University. After three years at Texas Tech he moved to the Penn State University College of Medicine, where he was Professor at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and directed a graduate program in Chemical Biology. Dr. Makhatadze joined Rensselaer in 2007 as a Constellation Professor in Biocomputation and Bioinformatics. Dr. Makhatadze is on the editorial boards of the Journal of Biological Chemistry, Biochemica et Biophysica Acta, and Protein Engineering, Design and Selection. He is a member of the American Chemical Society, the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, the Biophysical Society, the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, and the Protein Society. He is also a past and present member of the scientific review committees for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF).
B.S., Georgia State University Biophysics Ph.D., Moscow Physico-Technical Institute Biophysical Chemistry and Structural Biology
- Xu, S. C.S., LoRicco, J.G., Bishop, A.C., James, N.A., Huynh, W.H., McCallum, S.A., Roan, N.A., Makhatadze, G.I. (2020) Sequence-Independent Recognition of the Amyloid Structural Motif by GFP Protein Family. Proc Natl Acd Sci USA 117:22122-22127 doi: 10.1073/pnas.2001457117
- Avagyan, S, Vasilchuk, D, Makhatadze GI. (2020) Protein Adaptation to High Hydrostatic Pressure: Computational Analysis of the Structural Proteome. Proteins: Structure, Function, Bioinformatics 88:584-592.
- Tzul FO, Vasilchuk D, Makhatadze GI (2017) Evidence for the Principle of Minimal Frustration in the Evolution of Protein Folding Landscapes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. Feb 14. pii: 201613892. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1613892114.
- Chen C, Makhatadze GI (2017) Molecular Determinant of the Effects of Hydrostatic Pressure on Protein Folding Stability. Nature Communications 8:14561-14570.
- LoRicco JG, Xu CS, Neidleman J, Bergkvist M, Greene WC, Roan NR, Makhatadze GI. (2016) Gallic Acid Is an Antagonist of Semen Amyloid Fibrils That Enhance HIV-1 Infection. J Biol Chem. 291:14045-1055.
- Tzul FO, Schweiker KL, Makhatadze GI. (2015) Modulation of folding energy landscape by charge-charge interactions: linking experiments with computational modeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Jan 20;112(3):E259-66. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1410424112.
- Chen CR, Makhatadze GI. (2015) ProteinVolume: calculating molecular van der Waals and void volumes in proteins. BMC Bioinformatics. 2015 Mar 26;16(1):101. doi: 10.1186/s12859-015-0531-2.
- Pandharipande PP, Makhatadze GI. (2015) Thermal expansivities of peptides, polypeptides and proteins as measured by pressure perturbation calorimetry. Methods. 2015 Apr;76:61-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ymeth.2015.01.004.
- Vasilchuk D, Pandharipande PP, Suladze S, Sanchez-Ruiz JM, Makhatadze GI. (2014) Molecular determinants of expansivity of native globular proteins: a pressure perturbation calorimetry study. J Phys Chem B. 2014 Jun 12;118(23):6117-22. doi: 10.1021/jp5028838.
- French KC, Roan NR, Makhatadze GI. (2014) Structural characterization of semen coagulum-derived SEM1(86-107) amyloid fibrils that enhance HIV-1 infection. Biochemistry. 2014 May 27;53(20):3267-77. doi: 10.1021/bi500427r.